Schools As Resources

Schools As Resources

Who Should You Talk To?

  • Someone who specializes in children and divorces and/or exploration of feelings.
  • Someone who can be available to the child and with whom your child feels comfortable.
  • Someone who knows your child or can come to know your child as an individual.
  • Possibilities: counselor, psychologist, classroom teacher, and special subject teacher.


What Should You Tell Them?

  • Information which will assist them in helping your child in his/her adjustment. Again be careful to not blame the other parent.
  • Information related to logistics, such as who is to receive report cards, conference notifications, etc.
  • Observations you have regarding your child as they affect school attitudes, behaviors, and achievements.
  • Questions regarding school or community resources.
  • Areas of which you wish to be informed, such as changes in behavior, tardiness, etc.


When Should You Share The Information?

  • When you have specific information that can be used by school personnel to help the child.
  • Don’t hesitate to enlist the school’s help during the divorce.
  • During a scheduled conference with the stated purpose being to discuss the divorce situation (see “Where?”). Seek both parents at this meeting.


Where Can You Talk About It?

  • In a private conference with one teacher, counselor, etc.
  • In a group conference with several involved school personnel.


How Can School Personnel Help?

  • Watch for and report to you any changes in performance or behavior.
  • Be supportive of your child.
  • Be a listening ear; give child permission to share feelings.
  • Be a consistent person in the child’s life who will monitor the whole child.
  • Assist with referrals, consultations or follow-up.